Monday, November 28, 2011

Top 100 Global Thinkers

I read Foreign Policy online at least 5-6 times per week.  Right now I just looked in on it and found an interesting item by Joshua Keating about 10 events/things that were overlooked (primarily) by the information/news media this year.  But at the same time they have this attrocious posting called "The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers".  I applaud the idea, the concept, the attempt.  I can not help but be dismayed by the result.

How does founding a human rights watch group in Syria make you a top 100 thinker?  It means you have moxy and deserve my respect, but what does founding a watch group have to do with thinking, unless you somehow thought the Syrian government would respond graciously, in which case your thinking is worse than that of my dog.

Dick Cheney and Condi Rice as great thinkers.  Oh my, I just cannot think of anything to say about this other than, huh?  People who screw up the world, provide poor leadership, bad advice, and generally moronic commentary get considered great thinkers?  Heck, I must be the most brilliant person in the world.

And Amy Chua, yeah right treat your kids that way and get called a great thinker.  Besides which her work on ethnic politics has been negatively critiqued by any and all scholars worth their PhD.

So, this list stinks.   Sorry FP, but you missed the boat on this one--of course, this is just my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment