Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Brew Choice for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year.  Really, I believe I have as much or more to be thankful for than anyone else.  The good Lord had seen fit to bless me with family, health, work, friends... Hey, I am really and truly a thankful guy right now.  Of course, I will also admit that I love food and good meals, and for many people Thanksgiving provides good dining experiences.

Now, while you are sitting around after dinner and contemplating the pumpkin vs. apple vs. mincemeat vs. pecan vs. sweet potato vs. cherry pie dilemma (I recommend mincemeat and cherry personally, maybe some apple) you should also contemplate the best beverage to accompany your pie.  Most people do not think about beer and pie, but I am here to tell you that properly done, it can be quite nice. 

So for the Thanksgiving pie I recommend as the one good beer you pick up some Dogfishhead Chicory Stout.  This brew is a dark stout with a touch of roasted chicory, coffee (Dogfishhead says it is organic coffee), and a few spices. The hops are Cascade and Fuggles and the grains used are pale, roasted, and oats. As a stout it is not too hoppy only 21 IBU and the brew is not too heavy 5.2 ABV.

Again, this is just my two cents, but this is one really nice stout.  The chicory/coffee notes make it a great companion to a slice of pie.  Who knows, maybe this one will make you go back for another slice of pie. Being a holiday, I will be thankful that beer exists and not offer a bad brew commentary.





No comments:

Post a Comment