Friday, November 4, 2011

Beer

Anyone who knows me very well knows that I like good beer.  Now, I, like many of my fellow countrymen drink plenty of mass produced, fairly flavorless, fairly weak beers.  But what I am talking about when I say that I like beer is well crafted, small batch, artisan beer done in traditional brewing styles.  I prefer the taste of English style ales, porters and stouts (heck the English need something distinctive since their traditional food is pretty bland), but German style brews are okay and a few Alsatian and Belgian style brews have caught my attention.  Perhaps more people should work on Vienna style lagers (amazing that the best Vienna style beers are brewed today in Japan {Kirin Lager} and Mexico {Dos Equis Lager}).  So, anyway, a friend suggested I should give my two cents about some beers.  So, I have decided I would give my two cents once a month about beer.  I will give one good review and one negative review (I like to be fair and balanced--ha ha ha) based on my own tastebuds and remind you that this is my two cents and if you don't like my two cents then go get your own.  Also, I remind you all that drinking should be done within the limits of good sense (I would say law, but I have been known to bend a few laws or outright disdain them--but it is good sense not to break laws regarding drinking unless you have deep pockets to pay societies penalties).

One good brew:

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA
9.0 ABV (percent of alcohol by volume)
153 IBU (international bitterness units)          

This is a beautiful, single-hop India Pale Ale.  India Pale Ale was the over the top hopped ale invented to keep it from spoiling in the journey to and heat of India for consumption by British colonials.  The flavor is piney, resinous even, with hints of grapefruit.  The malt structure creates a full bodied mouth feel, a nice coppery color, and a thick foamy head if poured properly.  The pine and floral aromas with either be an enticing factor or totally turn you off on this brew.  I consider it an enticement.  Considering that most humans can only taste about 40 bitterness units before being overwhelmed, this beer is not for people of weak pallet.  That many people will find this beer overpowering and leave it alone is good news for me--more of it is left for me to enjoy.  

One bad brew:

Budweiser.  You pick the particular flavor (Bud, Bud Light, Bud Select) it does not matter.  This beer is for mass consumption by those who have never had a good beer.  To top it off, every time I drink even one Bud product, I get a headache.  I realize that many of you grew up with and continue to drink your bud.  Heck, I have tilted my arm to many a bud, that does not change the fact that it is bad beer.  What can you say about the color?  Not much it is pale and yellowish.  What can you say about the head?  The head is non-existent unless you pour the beer wrong.  What can you say about the taste?  It has none, unless you consider grainy water a taste.   Malt structure and hops are non-existent in this brew.  Why is this the "King of Beers"  because they produce more than any other brewery and bud drinkers are like chevy drivers--loyal to the brand.  (I drive a Ford).   

No comments:

Post a Comment