Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Syrian Refugees in the U.S.

Quick someone read the 1951 Convention on the Status of Refugees and the 1967 Protocols.  Look at the list of signatory states---who is there?  Yes, you read the list correctly, the United States is a signatory.   Our country has agreed to accept people meeting the strict definitions of refugee who apply for refugee and asylum status in this country.  I have written earlier in my blog about the appropriateness of considering those fleeing Syria as refugees (read it here).  Today I am writing to address a different issue--not whether we should accept refugees, but the absolutely idiotic idea that we should limit this to only Christian refugees.

Quick, grab a seat ladies and gentlemen.  I do not want you to fall over while I make a simple statement to you.  The United States is not, has never been, a Christian country.  Our population has never been limited only to people passing a litmus test of religious belief.  Indeed our Constitution as amended flatly denies the right of the government to create or limit the practice of religion (never says Christianity, it says religion--period).  In my humble opinion, we would be quite hypocritical to only accept Christian refugees into this country. 

Note, I did not say anything about not vetting the refugees to attempt to ensure that militant extremists (of any belief system) are not included in those allowed into the country.  Militant religious extremists represent less than one percent of all people professing any faith.  To blame all of the Islamic population in the world for the actions of some Islamic extremists is the same as blaming all of the Christian population of the world for the actions of Timothy McVeigh (who was, according to some reports, a supporter of the World Church of the Creator--an extremist, Christian sect).  Nonetheless, the U.S. government can and does do background checks on those applying for asylum and refugee status in the United States.  Potentially, some extremists might slip through the vetting process--life is tough that way some days.

I do not hide from the fact I am a Christian.  After careful consideration of my faith, I am confronted by the fact that believers are to model Christ-like behavior.  And, we are to model that behavior not just to other believers, but to non-believers.  I will not deny access to me to the non-believers of the world.  Should this position put me at risk of life and limb, I will defend my physical self as needed.  Should this position cost me my life, let the living know that as one of the redeemed I have gone to a better future.

For my two cents, the knee-jerk reaction to terrorist attacks in Paris by people associated with Daesh of saying do not let in any non-Christian Syrian refugees in the U.S. is based on fear.  Ladies and Gentlemen, you can live your life in fear, or you can live your life.  As for me, I will live my life.  Prudence dictates being prepared, being prepared does not always equal a winning outcome.  But living in fear will always lead to a losing outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment