Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Syrian Refugees (er, Excuse Me, Migrants)

I have been bothered in recent weeks by the issues surrounding Syrians fleeing fighting between the government, rebel groups (they are not a cohesive, singular rebel group and include Al-Qaeda linked organizations as well as others), and Daesh.  These Syrians are the good guys in the equation, threatened by the government because of their political views, threatened by the rebels because of their politics, religious actions, social class, ethnic group, and threatened by Daesh because Daesh pretty much threatens everyone around them.  In the last three days I have figured out exactly why I am bothered by this situation.  I am bothered because of the use of the word "migrant".  These people are not just migrants, migrants legal or illegal leave their home to go and get work or a better life in another country by choice and desire.  The Syrians fleeing Syria are doing so out of fear for their life, not fear of their livelihood.

For my two cents, these Syrians, fleeing from Al-Assad and Al-Nussra, and Daesh are refugees.  Refugees are accorded special consideration--don't believe me, read the 1951 Convention and 1967 Protocols on the Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees.  Retired Admiral Stavridis called U.S. actions related to this issue a challenge of character.  I agree, these are refugees for political and religious reasons--the U.S. signed the Convention and Protocol--now we must act in accordance with the principles of character we espoused as a country or show the world we have no character.  I know what I hope we do.

Addition 2 hours Later:  Perusing Foreign Policy online and came across this item by Stephen Walt.  I was heartened to see that a realist in whom there is no guile (to borrow a phrase) also feels angst over the question of what to do and whether we did the right thing vis-a-vis Syria.

No comments:

Post a Comment