Thursday, November 12, 2015

Is the Cold War Back? Did it Ever Go Away?

I read blog posts from my mentors and former professors regularly.  Particularly I still read Dr. Saideman's Blog (Saideman's Semi-Spew) on a routine basis.  Usually some good stuff to think about and much that I find humorous in the presentation.  Yesterday he posted about a presentation he gave at a NATO Association of Canada conference.  Apparently the Russian representatives in the room were not thrilled with Steve's presentation. 

One line caught my attention.  "Anyhow, I realized that the Russians do a fine job of making me take hardline stances--that the cold war is back and we might as well remember the old playbook of tripwires and credible commitments."  So, I asked myself is the Cold War back?  For my two cents, I am not sure, particularly as I have been stressing to students for about 15 years the need to remove ourselves from Cold War mentality in determining security threats, security needs, and strategic planning.  Then I thought about my critique of U.S. foreign policy and strategic decision-making in the last 20+ years and realized that indeed most of the decision makers are Cold War bred.  So I ask now, did the Cold War ever end?

No comments:

Post a Comment