Monday, February 6, 2012

Homs

I hate it that I was apparently correct here, but my two cents several posts back was that the Syrian govt. under Assad would not go quietly into the Arab Spring.  Now, as spring gave way to summer and fall, the only thing that seems to be falling is Assad's boot on the backs of the Syrian people.  And as winter is upon us, can we hope that this should be the winter of the Assad regime?  Well, for my two cents, I doubt it.

The Arab League has been inefficient in diplomatically pressuring Assad into change or stepping aside.  The United Nations Security Council is deadlocked as both Russia and China veto drafts of resolutions that would back an early Arab League plan for Assad to step aside.  So, 250 to 300 people have been killed by Syrian military forces loyal to Assad in the city of Homs since Friday afternoon.  And what is the justification of Russia and China using their veto power--it prevents the Security Council from taking sides in a civil war, which of course the Russian and Chinese governments would never do on their own.  So, roll on Assad, the path to destruction of Homs is open, the world has apparently decided to sit this one out.  Man do I hope I am wrong about that last statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment