Friday, October 14, 2011

Just Watching the Leaves Fall, er excuse me..Grading Exams.

Started one of the sad rituals of fall, or spring, last night...grading mid-term take home exams.  Good news is the student's work is not all that bad usually.  Bad news is, I still have to grade this stuff and I'd much rather stare out the window and watch leaves fall.  I think I can go ahead and paint the living room now--why wait for the new drywall to be installed in the spring.  Of course I am whining a little here, after all I do this to myself by requiring my students to show me that they can grasp ideas, analyze various data transmitted to them in various methods and create a synthesized answer to an occasionally abstract question.  My students will be better off for having completed this exercise.  I, on the other hand, will be irritable over the lack of sleep required to get these graded before mid-term grades are due.  But again, my students were irritable last week because of the sleep they lost completing the exam.  The pros and cons can continue, they whining can continue, in the end, this is part of my life and in a purely sadistic sort of way, I love it.  Now, back to watching leaves fall....

No comments:

Post a Comment