Wednesday, October 5, 2011

America's Most Dangerous Cities

You can read about the top five most dangerous cities based on violent crimes per 100,000 residents here.  But, what I found interesting was clicking on the link to the top 10 list to find that #6 is Lubbock, TX.  Apparently my home of nearly 6 years while working on my PhD has a seedier side to it that most of us either did not know about or just ignored.  Me personally, I did not think the crime rate was that bad while I was there, but then again I was there from Summer 1998 to January 2004.

Most people either love Lubbock or hate Lubbock.  Personally, I really enjoyed my time there, but I enjoyed being a student and spending time with my fellow grad students.  The food was pretty good, the cost of living was good, the people were generally friendly.  The school had issues, but so does every institution of higher learning.  Interesting thing to me was that two of my family's good friends outside of school were police officers in Lubbock--they never talked about a high violent crime rate.  Oh well, nostalgia trip done. 

1 comment: