Wednesday, October 12, 2011

American Hubris

I actually enjoy reading Foreign Policy on three or four times per week as I eat lunch at my desk.  Yes, I know I should get out from behind my desk, go get some exercise or something, but high calorie, high carb foods eaten at my desk always seem to win over walking, running, etc.   Today, I read the selection of articles from 6 non-U.S. journalists responding to the question: What is Wrong with America?  My first thought is why can we not say United States, after all Canada (gasp!) is even part of America and what is wrong with Canada (cold, poor infrastruture (seen the roads in Montreal lately), cold, problematic political structures, cold--did I mention it is cold in Canada already?) is not what is wrong with the United States.  Then it caught my eye--it being Ian Buruma's article about the Imperial hubris of the U.S.  Of course, the editorial staff of FP had already shown that hubris in the question--what is wrong with America? rather than what is wrong with the United States.

I am no fan of the idea of American Exceptionalism agreeing with many quality intellectuals that this idea is a mythological fabrication born of over zealous patriotism.  I quite agree with Buruma that many of my fellow citizens are of the opinion that whatever our way is, is the best way for everyone.  I also agree that we have taken upon ourselves the duty of spreading freedom and democracy throughout the world.  We either do it by spreading electoral politics--which can simply be democrazy in some areas (ask Paul Collier)--or by force--want a dictator? no you don't, you want democracy and here it is via the latest variant of that awful rifle, the M-16 (see my previous blog on my favorite military rifles).

I do have some questions for Buruma.  One, how did the Soviet Union hold the illusion of American omnipotence in check?  Two, I would like an fuller explanation of the "atmosphere of paranoia" that has brought disastrous results.

Finally, I think the point about gradual militarization of our society is well thought.  Even some former military officers and scholars have taken up this point.  Notably among them is Andrew Bacevich who raises this argument in his book The New American Militarism

Anyway, kudos to FP for today's (10/12/11) edition, good stuff, intellectual challenges are offered, read up.

No comments:

Post a Comment