Monday, March 17, 2014

Tibetan Self-Immolations

I haven't added a "count" in several months.  I probably will not add another.  Am I done following this issue, no.  In fact, yesterday was the anniversary of the Chinese crackdown in 2008 that sparked the wave of self-immolations that now stands at over 120.  For those of you who are interested, two more Tibetan's chose to self-immolate yesterday in protest against the Chinese rule over Tibet. 

Not sure I have a cogent two cents worth on this particular issue.  Part of my thinking is bully for the Tibetan's willing to take some stand regarding their disagreement with what they see as Chinese occupation.  Part of my thinking recognizes control over this territory has been contested for centuries and that I really have no clear cut thoughts on which side has a stronger argument regarding right to rule.  But all of my heart, head, and gut tells me that surely you can find a better means of protest than suicide.  For that reason, I will not be continuing to keep a Tibetan Self-Immolation count. 

No comments:

Post a Comment