Monday, April 23, 2012

U.S. Presidential Scandals

The news that Chuck Colson died recently made me start thinking about U.S. Presidential scandals.  Was Watergate the worst?  What other scandals might have been the worst if they happened at a turbulent time in U.S. history or in a digital communication media age? 

GeneralStudiesDegree.net has compiled a list that they call the 10 Biggest Presidential Scandals.  I do not agree with their ordering/ranking.  I do concur, however, that these are the 10 biggest U.S. Presidential scandals.

In ordering and for my two cents, I cannot help but believe that The Whiskey Ring (#5) and Credit Mobilier (#4) would have been much bigger scandals than either Watergate (#1) or Monica Lewinsky (#2) if these had happened in an era of digital communications.  I personally also find Truman's Freezer (#9) to be more heinous than Sally Hemings (#5--so Jefferson messing around outside of wedlock is #5, but Clinton having an affair is #2?).  Personally Warrantless Wiretapping (#8) is overstated--while it is true they govt. is able to listen without a warrant, the material collected cannot be acted upon without a warrant--but were it not overstated this scandal(?) would be number 1 in my book. 

So, I guess my top 10:

1.   Teapot Dome
2.   Truman's Freezer
3.   Credit Mobilier 
4.   Iran-Contra
5.   The Whiskey Ring
6.   Watergate
7.   Monica Lewinsky
8.   The Plame Affair
9.   Sally Hemings
10. Warrantless Wiretapping (which could alternately be number 1, given specific circumstances) 

No comments:

Post a Comment