Sunday, April 1, 2012

San Diego Here I (We) Come

Hey San Diego, sorry but a whole bunch of nerds are descending on you this week.  You get to host both the ISA (International Studies Association) annual conference and the SISA (Southwest ISA) annual conference.  Guess which one has the most nerds in attendance?  I am going to both.

Just a word to people submitting papers.  You dissertation is interesting to you, but for a conference I do not want to read a book.  I want papers--article length items.  Point out a journal that takes papers longer than 30 pages and I'll buy you a beer in San Diego.  I am simply going to refuse to read papers that have not been trimmed to journal length for discussion at conferences.  My time is valuable, and 5 or 6 papers of length that is dynamically long is not worth any attendees time, much less that of the discussant and other panelists.  So, cut it down, be realistic and let's all have a great conference.

Of course, this is my two cents.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment