Monday, August 29, 2011

What's Next Libya?

Two articles up today on Foreign Policy looking at what to expect and commenting on what Libyan leaders should do as the country transitions from Qaddafi's (spell it however you want Q or G) control to the National Transitional Council's (NTC) leadership have caught my thoughts.  James Traub says the NTC is more ready to govern than many of us would think.  Larry Kaplow gives his recommendations for how Libya can avoid the issues now facing Iraq caused by poor transition.

Of course, what neither says is do not let the U.S. DoD determine how to transition your country.  And, do not let Donald Rumsfeld have a say in how to reconstruct government or for that matter your sewage system.  I do, however, think Traub is a little bit over-optomistic and that Kaplow is correct and we can only hope such advice is heeded.  It does have me thinking, and so I ask you to tell me what you think should be done to avoid a Baghdad type failure in Tripoli.   I'll come back to this later this week and let the world know what I and my readers think should be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment