Friday, February 27, 2015

Update on MMR Thoughts

A good man has questioned my previous posting about MMR and vaccinations in general.  I admit that my earlier commentary probably seems quite contrary to my normal positions vis-a-vis government regulation regarding much of anything.  So, hats of to JS for making me thinking more and I offer the following as clarification of my earlier two cents.

My different position on the issue of immunization is based on responsibility issues.  I realize that not all immunizations really work that well (I have chosen not to have a flu vaccination in over 20 years, my wife and I disagree, so she and the boys get theirs yearly).  If a business chooses because of liability costs to post notice that non-flu vaccinated individuals are not allowed inside the doors, well, I am not allowed inside the doors.  

The problem for me is that you personal choice and my personal choice can have consequences for other people--am I being personally responsible if I do not get an MMR?  I may be responsible for my own health, but I am also responsible for the potential harm I can cause to other people.  While I am quite libertarian in my thoughts regarding most government intrusion in our lives, where it does intrude I believe it should be for the purpose (more often than not) of regulating our behaviors that can be negative toward others without intent.  The passing of disease from me to you because I have not had an immunization is without intent if I did not know I was ill.  The passing of the disease from me to you is also without intent if I am immunized, carrying the germ, and you are not immunized and receive the germ from our contact.  I am also willing to give a caveat, as I thought I noted, that we are not talking about all immunizations, but those that can cuse health issues to others.  

I guess that my concern here is for the principle, first do none harm.  Some immunizations (HPV immunizations) are really about social engineering of promiscuity and not about health concerns (in my humle opinion) due to ready transmission of regularly circulating germs, and thus outside of what I would consider necessary immunizations.  I think we need to be careful about what we consider necessary immunizations for curtailing the spreading of germs unintentionally versus immunizing simply to keep us safe from our own poor life choices.  So, some immunizations, in my opinion, will fall outside of those necessary to keep us from being lousy parents if we do not get these for our kids.

Thanks again JS for the questioning response to my earlier two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment