Monday, December 28, 2015

Saving Matt Damon

I finally watched The Martian a few days ago.  I was excited to watch this movie, the book was excellent.  The movie was a better than average coverage of a complex book.  After all, the book was SCIENCE fiction. I might also add Matt Damon is one of the few actors whose work I actually want to see, as I consider his bad works to be better than most other actors' good works--maybe he is just better at picking scripts that are not stupid/boring/totally ignorant/supply your own words.  And then I saw this headline as I perused a news service this morning:  "More than $900 Billion Has Been Spent Saving Matt Damon".

The article details that in all of the movies where Matt Damon has played a character that had to be saved about $900 billion would be the 2015 cost of saving the character.  The list and the author's suggested cost:

Courage Under Fire (Gulf War 1 helicopter rescue): $300k
Saving Private Ryan (WW2 Europe search party): $100k
Titan A.E. (Earth evacuation spaceship): $200B
Syriana (Middle East private security return flight): $50k
Green Zone (US Army transport from Middle East): $50k
Elysium (Space station security deployment and damages): $100m
Interstellar (Interstellar spaceship): $500B
The Martian (Mars mission): $200B

For my two cents the problem is the list.  I do not recall that Damon's character (Cale Tucker) was "saved" in Titan A.E.   Also not really sure I would call what happened in Syriana related to Bryan Woodman a "saving" event.  No "saving" of Max happened in Elysium--though Max's altruistic end might have saved some people.  Also, was Dr. Mann (Interstellar) really "saved" or just woken from cryo-sleep as part of NASA's Lazarus Missions?  And Dr. Mann does die when he tries to take over the spaceship for his own use.  Under my own figures saving Matt Damon has really cost:

Courage Under Fire:  $300k
Saving Private Ryan:  $100k
Green Zone:                  $50k
The Martian:               $200B

Total for saving Matt Damon:  $200,000,450,000 (or just over $200 billion U.S. in 2015 dollars), which is still a hefty sum for saving an actor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment