Friday, December 11, 2015

"One Nation..." Not Hardly

Over the years in talking about nationalism with my students I have often tied the concept back to what I find silliest about the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.  Ok, aside from pledging allegiance to a symbol being merely stupid, what I find silly is the claim that we are "one nation".  I do not even get to the point of considering the question of whether the "nation" is "under God" (I am, not sure about most of my fellow citizens or members of the nationality to which I belong).  I usually talk about the Native American "Nations" with which the government of the U.S. has bound us to recognize by legally binding treaties (which, of course, our government and our population have never really obliged themselves to honor).  But this morning I came across the following chart while surfing through sporting news and clicking on cute little boxes meant to get our attention at the end of the story (this box promised me 10 charts that would change my life--probably did not change anything).

 For my two cents, hillariously true.

No comments:

Post a Comment