Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Seymour Hersh, The bin Laden Lie?

I am, like a number of people, reading the Seymour Hersh piece about how the Obama administration and the SEALs have lied to us about what really happened regarding the Osama bin Laden raid in 2011.  I will, just like anyone else who cares about truth, now have to review what I know, what people I know know, and what others have written that they know.  But a few things stick out about this claim that call me to respond.

One, is it possible that the Pakistanis knew nothing about the raid before it happened?  Yes, it is possible, but I find it doubtful that at no time did anyone involved in the U.S. mission engage in any contact with any agent or member of the Pakistani government.  Though we should remember that the U.S. government was involved in drone strikes inside Pakistan that were not approved firsthand by the Pakistani government, and overtly frowned upon by the Pakistani government.  The Pakistani government is populated by a number of people, who in my humble opinion, are like politicians in most places--that is to say, self-interested, slightly seedy, and usually not to be trusted further than the average five year old could throw them (ok, I admit it, I am just slightly cynical about politicians).  Letting any Pakistani official into the inner circle of those vetted for the mission would have been tremendously stupid on the part of our government agents.  Note, that while cynical about politicians, I do not consider most government employees and politicians to be stupid, just untrustworthy and self-interested.

Two, Hersh is an old hand at news scoops and expose journalism.  Remember he won a Pulitzer for his coverage of My Lai.  Hersh knows that while some latitude is given to "anonymous government official" as a source, that the lack of any supporting sources and evidence makes his source lack a great deal of credibility.  Now, this one is where I am willing to give some leeway and need to go back and review my own information and other potential "sources" regarding this event.

Three, I do take umbrage with Hersh for a statement he makes in his expose published in the London Review of Books:

"Pasha and Kayani were responsible for ensuring that Pakistan’s army and air defence command would not track or engage with the US helicopters used on the mission."

Apparently Hersh has never heard of the use of electronic counter-measures.  Maybe he is unaware that an aerial surveilance aircraft flying over Afghanistan could direct aircraft around Pakistani aircraft and active radar signals.  Maybe Hersh is unaware of the ability of the Nightstalkers to fly nap of the earth (below radar coverage).  So, thinking that we must have had help from the inside to keep our aircraft from being spotted is just plain wrong.

For my two cents, I will keep looking, thinking, digging.  I will probably even comment more in future blogs regarding what I find, what I determine from analysis of known knowns and known unknowns.  In the end, however, most conspiracy theories are just that, conspiracy theories and not real expose of government/politician malfeasance.

No comments:

Post a Comment