Friday, May 15, 2015

Friday Fun

I was reading my mentors blog this morning.  He mentioned a list of books that "Literally all White Men Own."  The list is 79 books.  From this list, here are the one's I actually own--and have read, as I do not count it as owned until I have read it or am reading it (the numbers are from the list):



6. A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway
11. Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
13. The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
14. The Godfather, Mario Puzo
15. The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
29. John Adams, David McCullough
33. The World Is Flat, Thomas Friedman
38. The Road, Cormac McCarthy
41. The Rainmaker, John Grisham
42. Patriot Games, Tom Clancy
43. Dragon, Clive Cussler
44. Guns, Germs, and Steel, Jared Diamond
47. The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, John le Carre
48. Rising Sun, Michael Crichton
64. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
74. The Call of the Wild, Jack London
77. The Civil War: A Narrative, Shelby Foote

17 out of 79, five of the top 20, only one of the top 10.  For my two cents I thought a few things about this list.  First, shouldn't The Lord of The Rings count as three books (at least two, as the first publication was a two book set).  Second, I must not be a very good white man to have only read 17 of these 79 books that literally every white man owns.  Finally, what does it say about white men that the Bible is not on the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment