Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Golfing for Democracy

So my title is a little misleading, sue me.  But I came across an interesting story from the AFP as I perused through news items a few minutes ago--"China closes 66 'illegal' golf courses".  Apparently, golfing is western in ideology and sociology and therefore not the best way to maintain your Marxist control over a country with a growing middle class that might be demanding more sociopolitical freedom (of course, that would also require changes to the various dialects of Chinese as the word freedom does not exist).  

For my two cents, lets go hit a bucket of balls (I haven't golfed in 16 years, cuts into the budget for fishing, hunting, shooting, and all the other good redneck habits I have developed over 40+ years of existence).  I noticed that the PRC government did not shut down the foreign vehicle showrooms (you can still buy your Maserati, Ferrari, etc.), but they'll be dammed to Marxist hell if they allow too many of their citizens to play an individualistic sport with high costs (I quit to buy more fishing gear and firearms).  Bet the legal courses are reserved for the government functionaries and military leaders--maybe a few of the well to do financial elites in Shanghai as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment