Wednesday, February 12, 2014

So I Guess I'm Dumber than a Physicist

An anthropologist from Finland has authored a paper arguing that social scientists are more likely to be extreme in political opinion an more openly religious than their counterparts in the natural sciences.  The report's argument on why these observations are made--natural scientists are just smarter than social scientists.  You can read about the report and some reactions to it here. 

I personally would be an outlier in this analysis if the sample were taken from Grove City College.  I am considered less extreme in my political views and almost apolitical (interesting when you consider that I am a Political Scientist) than many of my colleagues in the natural sciences.  I am also considered less religious by many of my colleagues--probably because I am not of the reformed theological persuasion. 

For my own two cents, I am perfectly content to not have an IQ score as high as some others.  I make up for it by being well read in and outside of my academic discipline.  And hey, Sheldon, football is great and you should try giving Amy a kiss more than just on Valentine's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment