Friday, June 24, 2011

Alice Walker Says Israel and U.S. are Great Terrorist Organizations

At some point each day I find myself reading the new articles, interviews, and blogs available online at Foreign Policy.  There are usually some good ideas, thought provoking articles and blogs.  Today is no different, except in what almost immediately caught my eye:  Alice Walker on Why Israel and the U.S. Are Terrorist States

Now, I make no claim at literary expertise and grew up in the deep south, as such I do not believe anyone would want to read nor believe my comments on The Color Purple.  So my first thought is why should anyone care what Alice Walker thinks about Israel and the U.S.?  She won a Pulitizer for her literature, but does she have any real expertise in terrorism, foreign policy, the Middle East?  She married a Jewish law student during the late 1960s and became an advocate of the Palestinians in the 1970s.  Great, I am an advocate for removing watermelon and returning lime to the green lifesaver candy.  She is as qualified as an activist who advocates for any group.  So on my first question, I'll give it another so what?

But what really struck me as I read this interview were two points.  One, she admits that she does not know what is on board ships in a flotilla she will travel with to attempt to break Israel's blockade of Gaza.  Personally, I take no trip without having some clue what is on board the vessel of travel if that vessel is potentially traveling in harm's way.  Not very bright of a Pulitizer winner to not know if these ships are carrying items of concern for the safety of Gaza or Israel.  The second is her statement the U.S. and Israel are "great terrorist organizations themselves."  Again showing the naivety of many leftists still out there in our world, there is no cogent reasoning, just feeling and bluster to the statement.  At least most left leaning academics I know would make a cogent argument to support such a claim. 

If we are a terrorist organization here in the U.S., may I ask you a question Alice Walker?  Why do you continue to support this terrorist organization by claiming citizenship, paying taxes, and living here?  Ok, wait, I am being emotional about this now just like she is about the cause of the Palestinians.  So, I return to my first point, what qualified her to speak on the subject?  At least I am just blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment