Thursday, August 6, 2015

Adding Up vs. Subtraction

Quick everyone, what is 248-29?  I bet nearly everyone of you either did this rinky-dink problem in your head in less time than it takes to write this sentence, or you did the following quickly on a piece of scratch paper:
                                                      248
                                                    -  29
                                                     219

Common Core on the other hand tells you kids to add up to the answer

                                                  29 + 1 = 30
                                                  30 + 70 = 100
                                                100 + 100 = 200
                                                200 + 48 = 248

Ok, so tell me Common Core, what is 248 - 29?  The mathematical question was still not answered.  Please show me "219" in the Common Core new math formula.

Why, you might ask, is Stanton writing/ranting about Common Core today.  I am because I read an article from The Atlantic (the news wire service I use compiles articles from numerous sources, which I really enjoy) about parents taking courses to learn new math for the Common Core standards (read it here).  For my two cents, what good does it do to teach me something new, if the something new is not in itself useful for the purpose it was designed.  Look at the math problem above, did we get an answer from Common Core, no we got extra rounds of addition.  Hey Common Crud, the answer is 219.
 

                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment