Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Vacation

I love family vacation time.  I even like driving on family vacations.  The Two Cents family left western PA and headed out to western NV at the end of last week.  Nothing quite like getting on the road at 4 pm and having breakfast at 4 am half a continent away from where you began--yes, I know that there are speed limits.  I always enjoy recognizing the expansiveness of the U.S., drive across Nebraska or Kansas some day and you will hate it or love it.  I also get a chance to listen to some great literature on these trips, because I always find a few books on CD or download a book or two to a thumb drive (love that the new car allows use of thumb drives, mp3 players, or smartphones).  We (really I, as most of the family was asleep for most of the first segment of the drive) listened to a reading of McCullough's Path Between the Seas and got through most of a novel (DeMille's The Quest) on the trip out, and will finish DeMille and hopefully another book on the way home.

Great news from the trip, my youngest son was baptized last Sunday by his grandfather.  My son had been waiting for three years for this opportunity.  I guess it makes up for my telling my dad no way about 40 years ago when I was baptized by the pastor of our local church.  My dad was in the Air Force at the time and was licensed to preach, but had not yet gone to seminary.  We are having a great visit with my parents and my grandmother, who is living with my mom and dad.

Yesterday was a great time.  My dad and I along with two other dads from his congregation took six young men (ages 8-13) out to the range and spent the morning teaching the kids to shoot (and more importantly how to breathe properly while shooting).  One of the dads and I took the kids to the pool for the afternoon.  Dad and I are taking the boys camping in the mountains here tomorrow (boys get a backpack with a compass, a canteen, one MRE, a knife, change of socks and underwear, and a firestarter) it will be a great time.  We leave after that for southern Utah to visit Bryce's Canyon and Capital Reef National Parks and the wilderness areas around those parks. 

For my two cents go take a family vacation, drive on the trip, see some family, see some of the scenery of this great country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment