Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Buy a Shotgun

Joe Biden, the esteemed vice-president of the United States, in pushing the firearm agenda of the Obama administration says that we should buy a shotgun. Now, I have no real issue with this comment.  In fact, I have told people for years, if you are not going to take the time and make the effort to be proficient in the use of a handgun or rifle, and still want to defend yourself, buy a shotgun.  Of course, my buy a shotgun is apparently different than that of VP Biden, who wants you to have a single-barrel, single-shot or at best a double-barrel shotgun.


"We live in an area that's wooded and secluded," Biden said. "I said, Jill, if there's ever a problem just walk out on the balcony here ... put that double-barreled shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house."
"I promise you whoever's coming in is not gonna," Biden said. "You don't need an AR-15 (assault rifle). It's harder to aim. It's harder to use and in fact you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself."
"Buy a shotgun," he said, lowering his voice almost to whisper.

Well, let's stop and think about this for a minute VP Biden.  "Fire two blasts outside the house."  Fire at what, do you aim, or just fire off both barrels?  Once you have fired those two barrels into the air, what happens next?  Most people are not going to be proficient at rapid reloading of shotguns.  I can fire about 6 rounds per minute with a single-barrel, if I hold shells between my lips and between my fingers when I start the process.  And what did you hit if you just blasted off two rounds?  

Sorry VP Biden, but while the shotgun idea is sound, what is more sound is to buy a pump action or semi-automatic shotgun that holds five or more 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells loaded with buck shot.  What is even more sound is to aim at the intruder in the window, doorway, hallway through which they are invading your personal space/private property, not to go outside the house and fire off two rounds (which assumes you are going to hear the intruder coming and hear them outside your home).  Even more sound is having aimed at the intruder to shoot the intruder.  Of course this is only my two cents worth of thought, and I pray to God that no person has to make these sound decisions, ever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment