Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Best Christmas Presents

Hey, I love Christmas.  I love Christmas for a number of reasons.  First and foremost, I am a Christian and love celebrating the birth of Jesus, even if it doesn't fit perfectly with the 10 month Jewish calendar or any other particular calendar to say that Christ was born exactly on the 25th of December.  Do I have to celebrate the fact that I am alive exactly on my own birthday and not on any other day?  Heck my best friend, Brian Beaird, and I held celebration days just because we had elbows, knees, and eyebrows.

But I also love Christmas because I get presents.  I know, I am being just as bad as my 6 and 10 year old sons.  At least I am trying to be honest, something sorely lacking in much of humanity.  So, I was thinking what are the 10 best presents I received across my lifetime.  These presents are in no particular value order, and are just what presents given by friends and relatives that I happened to think about as I sit here avoiding grading more papers and exams.

10.  The Alabama football uniform complete with shoulder pads and helmet when I was 5 years old.

9.  The Hickory Farms cheese and sausage box I got when I was a college undergrad (need I say more).

8.  The three foot tall plastic robot that fired missiles from its hand and turned into a spaceship.

7.  My first BB gun.

6.  My first shotgun.

5.  Three pairs of blue jeans when I was in grad school.

4.  The nerf gun with a 30 rd magazine from my sons two years ago.

3.  A key chain fob that says All-Star Dad

2.  A case of beer when I was a broke college student.

1.  something my wife gave me that I am not going put in print here.  By the way, she is the best Christmas present I ever got (we were married on Christmas eve).


No comments:

Post a Comment