Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Cost of K-12 Education

I read an article this morning about the rising cost of sending your kid back to school (read it here).  I guess I went to schools that were "out of line" with other schools.  If you played sports you sold stuff to your neighbors and friends or your parents paid for your share of the athletic costs.  If you played in the band you provided your own instrument or you rented one from the school.  If you did extra-curricular anything, you paid for the cost of the program.

The article says that parents are required to pay for some classroom materials.  Well, we had to pay for our own pens, pencils, paper.  If you took an art class you had to pay for colored pens, pencils, chalks, paints, etc.  I guess I am not very sympathetic to the complaints.  If you want your kid to go to school, participate in extra-curricular activities, and have fun, you have to pay for it.  My parents paid for it, I pay for it with my kids sports activities, what is the big deal?  So what if I have to buy paper and pencils and pens for my kids to use in school? Quit whining, prioritize your spending habits, take care of your kids. 

By the way, in Grove City, PA we have kids that legitimately come from families that cannot afford to pay for extra-curricular activities and school supplies.  Two things come to mind.  One, life is generally tough and not very fair.  Two, many of our community make donations willingly to help those in need.  Just my two cents, but charity comes from people, not the government, regardless of the type of aid required by people who need assistance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment